Thursday, May 2, 2013

Update on the BILT Explorer Helmet.

So awhile back I purchased the new BILT Explorer Helmet from Cycle Gear. At first it was great. It fit very well didn't seem to heavy and at highway speeds the visor didn't seem to be in the way unless I turned my head at an angle into the wind. So here I am a few months later and I'm on Helmet number 3. Lucky number 3. So here is what I've experienced. On my first helmet the chin strap started to come apart. the fabric was just falling apart literally.  Not sure why. It was the show model on the shelve so that could be it. So I took it back and got a new one fresh out of the Box. Helmet 2. Color flat black I had this for a few months. All seemed well didn't have any issues for a while. But after awhile my helmet started needing more maintenance than my bike. The screws that hold the visor to the helmet were all loose. Had to super glue the screws in place to keep from coming apart. Just getting them tight wasn't enough they kept working loose. There are two on the back of the helmet an three up front on the main visor part. The three on the main visor hold down a end visor piece that seemed more as a looks function because it could have been easily built in to make a one piece visor. After the three screws were glued I noticed an annoying vibration at highway speeds again. Felt around and the end visor piece was loose again. the screws pulled through it. YAY right. So carefully removing the piece I super glued that back on too. Super Glue seems to be a popular tool with the helmet repair. A few weeks went by and no repairs. but one day in the garage I noticed the rubber seal around bottom of the helmet was peeling off. Took a closer look. It barely had glue holding it. Just enough but not enough. So once again super glue to the rescue. Then one day I got caught in a rain storm. No biggie. but why is there water on the wrong side of the clear plastic see through visor. hmm. Got home and inspected. seems the seal was worn and water found the sweet spot. Also found on the lower side by the front beak the rubber had a small tear. Also the inside pads became very worn. I know the pads will break down over time but I've had my last helmet almost 3 years and the pads aren't nearly as worn down as these were in only a few months. So now to helmet 3. Just got in only had it a week. And guess what new colors. YAY. So I upgraded to the HI-VIZ color. Very Bright which I like.

So since Cycle gear has a 5 year warranty at this rate I'll have a new helmet every 6 months until I get one that stops falling apart. For a $200 helmet It's already paying for it self. If you ride every so often maybe to the store and back or one long trip a year. This helmet will pry never break down. But I ride all year and in all conditions. For that I just purchased the Shoei Hornet DS Hornet. No drop down internal shade which by the way I really like. So there are my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment