Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial day ride Exploration!! May 25-26 2013

I found a photo of a great view and wanted to go there. So I tracked down where it was and went to find out how and what was there. The destination was Lake Jocasse in SC. The road was called Horse Pasture Road. Not knowing what to expect I loaded up the bike and headed out. 
Getting down there I took a nice detour on Highway 11 scenic bypass route in SC. Gorgeous road for any who want to go. After stopping for Ice Cream at Aunt Sues Country Store and then another stop for a wine tasting. I decided to get back to exploring and find my camp site. One I found the road it looked easy. There were hikers parked along the road and it seemed like a normal road. After a few more miles in the road got harder and harder. Then came the tricky part. According the map I was 2 miles from the camp site I marked on the map and I came across trees blocking my path. With my new hatchet only 8 inches long I started whacking away. I took the bike over, under and literally through the trees just to get to the site. My guess is the road was a maintained road but at this time has not been maintained since the last storm. After a while I finally make it to the camp ground where I set up camp and just sat back and relaxed. And enjoyed watching the Game Warden pull over every boat on the water. 

Sunday I woke up at 6 am and slept OK in the hammock. It got very windy and the temperature dropped fairly quick.  I thought getting out would have been easy thinking I already cleared away most of the trees but it took me twice as long to get back to the main road then it did to get in. From the morning dew on the trees I slid around more on the wood. To be fair I got a good solid test on the skid plate. One one tree because the bike was to tall I actually had to lay the bike on it's side and slide it under one tree. Did I mention it was a 600 lbs plus bike. It got to the point I had to strip the bike of all extra weight and remove the mirrors just to get by. After making my way 13 miles back to the main paved roads I slowly made my way back to Raleigh. Zipping up to the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville and detouring my way home. 

More photos can be found on my Facebook page


Here's some photos 

I found the flower fields 


Cool random Bridge in SC

View From Horse Pasture Road


Had to cut my way and go over this tree. 
First tree of 5 that were in my way. 

Had to lay the bike on it's side to get under this tree. 
Tree number 3

My campsite View

Base Camp


Ice cream at Aunt Sues Country Store off HWY 11

Got me some wine to try. 

blue dot is where I camped. 13 miles of back gravel and dirt roads windy with amazing views as you go through the mountains over looking the lake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment