Thursday, January 26, 2012

Where the pavement ends..1-26-2012

 This is going to be legen... wait...wait...dary... Had some fun today. Weather was perfect. Sun shining with clear blue skies around 65 degrees. I couldn't resist a small ride after work. Hopped on the bike for a spin thinking something simple just cruise around and have fun and enjoy a nice ride. Well simple didn't last long. After exploring some new neighborhoods with some soon to be homes. I saw a gravel road that I couldn't resist. Turned off the ABS and I'm good. Now for a small picture for you to imagine. The gravel road went to a small power grip fenced in but nothing crazy, but the fun started when I noticed a trail on the left. This was a plowed field that had walls built up as if they were making a custom pond in the middle. My guess it was to catch run off from the near by Walmart's large parking lot. Maybe a spring was there too. Grass was attempting to be grown but here in the south clay and grass don't mix well. Well from what I could see it seems fairly dry and it went in a loop so turning around I didn't think would be an issue. Hit the dirt and all is well. Came around the last bend and BAM. There's a mud pit about 12 feet wide about a car and half length long with no way around it. I guess I found out why it wasn't a long trail and it looped. Didn't think it to clearly just remember what I've heard was when in doubt hit the gas and don't hold back. So I did just that. Made it half way then the bottom on the bike bottoms out. For those who don't know. The BMW GS has a ground clearance of 7.3 inches. But i'm dead in the middle of the mud. First thing I thought was S@#T I'm stuck and alone. I could have gotten off the bike and it could have stayed straight up on it own. gave it gas again and I'm actually moving again. I was amazed. I moving and with 3 feet to go and I'm out.  Once I hit pavement as you can see in the photo's below I finally got dirty. jeans were covered shoes gained 10lbs each of clay. But I was thrilled on how it did and handled. You see video's of what other have do and what others have done but when you read there bio you think. Well must come with experience. Well I have very little off-road on the GS. Since I didn't want clay stains a quick ride to the car wash and all is well again. As I sat through traffic I got the greatest looks. Here you see a BMW covered in mud. Not something you see very often. but it got some good looks. After about 20 minutes at the car wash giving her and myself a rinse. She's all shiny again and back to normal. And all I could say was it was so worth it. I would call it a good day. 

Challenge complete.. 

all shiny




No comments:

Post a Comment