Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day Ride to Chimney Rock.. 1-28-12

This trip was a last minute throw together. I met a Lady and she was going to be in the mountains for a conference for a few days and ask if I wanted to meet up at Chimney Rock for some hiking. Anyways Saturday came and man was it a gorgeous day. I started out hitting the road at about 8am. For the first stop I headed to Thomasville NC. Where I saw on the adv rider Forum there is a small town coffee shop I wanted to check out. Its a small little town once you get away from the busy highway. It was about 9:30 when I got in and it seemed like the town was just waking up. No one really around but a few people. After a nice warm coffee and some friendly conversation with some locals I was back on the road again. For the next stop was to Chimney rock. Well I thought. Rolling down the road I took a detour headed through Charlotte so of course I stopped at the Harley Davidson Dealer in Concord. looked around, hit the bathroom and filled up with gas. My bike looked funny in the Harley parking lot. But everyone is still friendly which is why I love riding Motorcycles. You create a bond with people you've never met over common interests. Now I was back on the road to Chimney rock. Just out of Charlotte on the back roads I run into a guy riding a Yamaha I think which we rode together for about 40 minutes. side by side taking turns leading and sticking together in traffic. We finally split due our different destinations. Back to some more beautiful back country roads of NC. and a few small towns later. I ride up to Lake Lure. Having to stop and loose some layers of clothing. I look around and soak up the beauty. Motorcycles everywhere. Guys and Gals riding and everyone enjoying the warm winter weather of January. As you can see in the photos. The sky was blue with spotted clouds and a light jacket is all you need. Little did I know the roads were perfect. Winding roads, hills and curves with little to no traffic. The shops at the base of Chimney Rock were kinda cool too. Small town locals everyone so friendly. Nothing to crazy around but cool little trinkets. Meeting up with my lady friend at Chimney Rock we hiked to the wonderful water fall. It was about a 3 mile drive up the mountain or more fun curvy roads then another 1.5 mile hike round trip to the falls. Where we were able to see the 404ft waterfall. After a great little hike I had to be on my way. It was getting dark and getting cold. and I still had to ride back to Apex NC. And it got cold. I saw on a bank sign it was 38 degrees and dropping. Had to stop about after an hr and put on more clothes. I had think gloves on, Cold winter gear for extreme weather, A full ski mask that covers the whole head and down the the shoulders and the heated grips turned on high. Despite the cold ride back. Its the moments like that day when the weather is just right and the roads curves are perfect and the feel of freedom and full relaxation just can't be beat. It was that trip that makes me look forward the summer when the weather is nice and the sun stays out longer.


The View From Chimney Rock



long way down




Chimney Rock

Over View of Lake Lure


My pretty Bike lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment